Why Inspecting your Duct Work is Important
If you should notice an odd musty odor coming from your air vents or should you notice that the vents are becoming discolored the problem is likely the growth of mold.
Water in air ducts can be a serious problem as it invites the growth of mold, the spores of which are quickly delivered around the home when the heating or cooling system is operating.
Once you have eliminated the source of the water in air ducts you are advised to coat the inside with a material that inhibits any further mold growth. You are invited to contact Duct Armor for further information.
Call Today! 1-800-637-1773
Air duct cleaning’s facts
- One out of every six people who suffer from allergies does so because of the direct relationship to the fungi and bacteria in the air duct systems. (Total Health & Better Health Magazine)
- 90% of heating and cooling system failures are caused by dust and dirt. (Louisiana Cooperative Extension Service)
- One millimeter of dirt on a heating or cooling coil can decrease its efficiency up to 21%. (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Most fiberglass furnace filters are only 7% effective in stopping dirt, dust, pollen, etc.
- 50% of all illnesses are either caused or aggravated by polluted indoor air.(American College of Allergists)
- 25%-40% of the energy used for heating or cooling a home is wasted. (U.S. Department of Energy)
When should you clean your air duct?
- There is substantial visible mold growth inside hard surface (e.g., sheet metal) ducts or on other components of your heating and cooling system.
- Ducts are infested with vermin
- Ducts are clogged with excessive amounts of dust and debris and/or particles are actually released into the home from your supply registers.
The ducts in a home are hidden under the floors, in the walls and attic and in crawlspaces. Although they are out of sight they are certainly not out of mind, they are a critical component of a well functioning heating and air conditioning system. As the home ages there is a distinct possibility that there will be deterioration of the ducts; small holes may appear and the joints may separate, the result is poor air circulation, degraded air quality and high energy bills. There are signs that air duct repair is needed.
- Health problems: Dirty ducts often have a negative impact on the quality of air in your home. Damaged ducts can accumulate dust and other allergens and deposit them in various rooms throughout the house. If you or a member of your family suffers from an allergy and their condition deteriorates it could be a problem associated with dirty or leaking ducts.
- Heating and cooling: Efficient heating and cooling demands effective delivery of conditioned air. If the duct leaks the air will not be delivered to the living space, it will be delivered to the attic, crawlspace or wherever the duct is located.
- Increase in your utility bill: When treated air is leaking into unused spaces on its way to the useable space in the house the heating and cooling system will go into overdrive. The system will be strained, it will have to work harder and longer to accomplish the task, the result is an increase in your energy bill. If this is the case in your home and there does not appear to be any other reason for an increase in your bill then you must consider that there is a leak in a duct and air duct repair should be undertaken.
- Odd odors: If you dust the furniture in your home only to see more dust accumulate before you’re even finished it could be an air duct problem. Dust will be drawn into the duct, when the system starts up you can actually see a small puff of dust coming from the vents. The same is true with odors, your home might begin to take on a musty smell; these issues are normally associated with dirty or leaking ducts.
As much as you would hope that it never happens, air ducts do get dirty and damaged. If you are concerned about the air quality in your home and you want to drive down your energy bill then you might have to undertake air duct repair.
Leaking air ducts in your home can lead to unnecessarily high utility bills and a rapid reduction in air quality. You may have problems that indicate the need for air duct repair, to learn more you are invited to contact your local dealer of Duct Armor®.